If you are interested in applying to the Doctoral STEM program in EXNS, as a first step, identify a faculty member with whom you share research interests (see Faculty Advisors) and discuss the possibility of them serving as your doctoral mentor. Make sure they are accepting students for the semester you would like to enroll.
Students are usually admitted to the fall semester each year. The Department will start reviewing applications for admission and Graduate Assistantships by the second week of January.
- An equivalent of a Master’s degree in a related area of exercise physiology, nutrition, health, sports medicine, physical therapy, nursing, or medicine OR appropriate undergraduate degree work including coursework, laboratory, and practical experience that would suggest that the student could be successful in the program
- An appropriate and acceptable score on the verbal and quantitative portions of the GRE (50th percentile in each section or combined)
- Willingness of an applicant-identified mentor to supervise the applicant’s doctoral training
How to Apply:
Submit to the Graduate School for admission to the program:
- Completed Graduate School Application for the EXNS program.
- Official GRE test scores
- Letter of intent, including a description of your academic preparation, degrees earned, interests in the doctoral program, professional goals, research skills, and teaching/work experience (Also indicate the faculty mentor you wish to work with and why, in the letter)
- Samples of writing or copies of representative publications (articles and abstracts) if available
- Three letters of reference from individuals with insight into your potential for success in the doctoral program